12:30 pm - 03:30 pmEvent Category: Click to Register
Hunger Task Force Farm/Fish Hatchery
9000 S 68th St
Franklin, WI, US, 53132
(Note: The Farm is located down in Franklin; we can organize carpools from downtown if anyone is interested)
Spend some time outside this summer helping out on the Farm! Did you know that Hunger Task Force is the only food bank in Wisconsin to operate a farm for the express purpose of growing fresh produce to feed the hungry? All of the fresh produce harvested is distributed free of charge to a network of food pantries, soup kitchens, and homeless shelters across Southeastern Wisconsin. Volunteers are essential in making this happen.
The Farm always a lot of work to do in summer. We could be helping with planting, carrying out crop maintenance, harvesting, trail maintenance…whatever is needed that day.
Here’s some more details from Hunger Task Force (please read):
• Farm volunteers should be in good physical condition, and able to bend, lift, walk, kneel, and carry items
• Volunteers should be prepared to be outside for the duration of their shift
• Volunteers should be capable of lifting 30 pounds
• The grounds are not handicapped accessible
• Volunteers are required to be 16 years of age, exceptions must be confirmed in advance!
• Clothing guidelines:
– Closed-toe shoes are required (no sandals)
– Tennis shoes or work boots with jeans (shorts okay)
– Please dress in clothes you don’t mind getting dirty
– Bring work gloves if you have them (gloves will also be provided on site)
– Bring a hat, sunscreen, and water (water will also be provided on site)
– Wear layers as you will be outside and conditions are variable
PARKING & CHECK-IN DETAILS
All volunteers will enter The Visitor Center to sign in. Enter the second driveway and park in the paved lot located in front of The Visitor Center. If the lot is full please park along the gravel driveway, leaving space for farming equipment to utilize the road. Farm Staff will greet you upon arrival at The Visitor Center
Hunger Task Force makes all possible efforts to ensure a safe environment for volunteers. Volunteers are under the direct supervision of Hunger Task Force staff and should follow written and verbal instructions for their own safety as well as the safety of those working around them. Volunteers are not required to have previous agricultural experience and will be accompanied by a staff member at all times. Please let staff know if you feel uncomfortable with an activity or situation and adjustments will be made.
There is not a secure area for valuables/purses – please leave these items in your vehicle or at home. Hunger Task Force is not to be held responsible for the loss or damage of any personal property.